Primary school tours last for about 1½ hours and cover the following:
- An introduction to planetary exploration
- How planets are made (in the small planetarium)
- The planets and minor planets in the Solar System
- The Earth and the Moon (activity)
- Size of the Solar System (activity)
- Telescopes (including the main dome)
When booking you will be asked about any special needs or requirements that you or your class may have. You should be aware that the majority of the tour is visual and audio in nature. In the planetarium (10 minutes) it is dark, and there are 13 steps to access the main telescope dome (10 minutes of the tour).
There are no catering facilities at the Spaceguard Centre. However, there is a room that can be made available for groups to eat a packed lunch. In good weather there are picnic tables outside.
Maximum numbers of pupils
- Dependant on school Covid policy
- Primary Schools – £5.00 per child (Minimum charge £50)
- 1 free teacher for every 7 children
The small gift shop is available at the end of the tour, if required.