Secondary school & college tours last for about 1½ hours. Groups do the standard adult tour (suitably pitched), covering:
- Introduction to the NEO Impact Hazard
- Planetary formation (in the small planetarium)
- Impact effects
- Asteroid and comet detection
- Asteroid and comet tracking
- Avoiding Impacts
- Telescopes (including the main dome)
When booking you will be asked about any special needs or requirements that you or your class may have. You should be aware that the majority of the tour is visual and audio in nature. In the planetarium (10 minutes) it is dark, and there are 13 steps to access the main telescope dome (10 minutes of the tour).
There are no catering facilities at the Spaceguard Centre. However, there is a room that can be made available for groups to eat a packed lunch. In good weather there are picnic tables outside.
Maximum numbers of pupils
- Dependant on school Covid policy (absolute maximum 25 pers).
- Secondary Schools – £7.00 per child (minimum charge £50).
- 1 free teacher for every 7 students.
The small gift shop is available at the end of the tour, if required.